Sunday 22 May 2011

I Guess That's Why They Call It The (Birmingham City) Blues!

What a Relegation Sunday!

I've been glued to Radio 5 Live and Final Score on the Red Button as the biggest last day Premier League rollercoaster ride in years came to a disbelieving conclusion!

During the course of the afternoon, Blackpool, Wigan, Wolves and Birmingham fans all saw the sword of damocles hang over their heads.

But at the final whistle, it is brave and plucky Blackpool who have been releagted along with Carling Cup winners Birmingham City!

I'm an Aston Villa fan and how, after the season that we've had did we ever finish as high up as 9th I'll never know! Indeed, I blogged here earlier this season of my worries for Villa's place in the top flight of English football.

It was compounded by Birmingham's victory in the Carling Cup at Wembley with the European competition that comes with it next year. But now, how I bet the Blues in England's second city would swap that trophy for safety and a place in the Premier League next season!

So, as an Aston Villa fan, an ode to those poor Birmingham City fans who are now looking at Championship football next season.

From that Watford fan Elton John, 'I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues'.



Goodbye Birningham City! Enjoy your run in Europe next year as you travel to the likes of Doncaster, Barnsley and Brighton in the Championship!

No comments:

Post a Comment