Thursday 30 June 2011

No One But You (Only The Good Die Young)

It's been a tough few days. Indeed, as June closes, I look back at what has been a distressing month.

I've already commented about the sad and premature death of Andrew Reeves at only 43 of a heart attack and of my journey to his funeral in Edinburgh. The following week I attended the funeral of a well respected elder statesman of the Cardigan community who passed away in his early 90s.

Over the course of the past week I've done my best to support Alyson as her family have prepared their farewells to her grandmother who also passed away, aged 94. On leaving the funeral yesterday and coming back north from Llanboidy to Cardigan, I heard the heart-breaking news of the premature death of a lovely lady who though is only related to me through marriage, has along with her husband and children, always felt a part of my wider family. She was only in her 60s and it just made me despair again at how, as the old saying goes, 'only the good die young'. It very much brought to the fore the memories of my father's early death back in 2003 at the age of 66. Last night I broke down in tears for the first time in a number of years and I'm thankful that I had Alyson there to console me.

So as a tribute to all of those who have passed before their time, one of the most under-rated of songs from the best band of all-time.

No One But You
The impetus for this Queen production was the death, at the age of just 36, of Princess Diana in August 1997. It is however, largely a eulogy to Freddie Mercury who passed away aged just 45 in 1991.

The song features the three remaining members of Queen and was the last new recording to feature John Deacon, who subsequently retired from public life.


Queen - No One But You (Only The Good Die Young)... by M_Ouyhey

It is a truly moving piece of music and the video for me adds to the poigniancy of the lyrics, sang so well by Brian May and Roger Taylor.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourites Mr Cole.

    Chin up mate or i'll have to smash you at snooker and really finish you off! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of which Mr Rowland, when's the re-match?!

    ReplyDelete