Thursday 4 August 2011

Give Me Your Money! Helping Cardigan's RNLI

I've spent an enjoyable 3 hours today with the local RNLI branch and their fundraising buckets at Cardigan's Tesco supermarket.

With thanks to Richard Fletcher for
taking the photo!
I've helped them before as I also do with the local Royal British Legion Branch every year selling red poppies. It's so easy because everyone knows what both the RNLI and the British Legion do and how important they are to us here in our coastal community.

Nowadays of course we're not allowed to rattle the buckets or even to entice people over to us. We are expected to stand still and wait for people to come over to volunteer their donation to us. Over a 3 hour stretch, that's a lot of time of standing around hoping that Tesco customers come over with a donation! The fact then that the Lifeboat tabard tells them exactly who we are however is a great help and the response today was great.

My problem mind, if you can call it that, is that I know too many people in Cardigan. I've therefore been known to call out to anyone I know even at a distance and lure them over and today was no exception!

Still, if it means more money goes into the boxes to support this wonderful and critical local service, then who's complaining? It also gave me an opportunity to chat to loads of local people who I know and as anyone who knows me will testify, I like to chat!

So all in all, it has been a grand old day!

No comments:

Post a Comment