Monday 12 December 2011

Cole's Musical Christmas Advent Calendar - Day 12

It's December which means for those who have them, it's time to get out those chocolate advent calendars!

But for those of you who, like me, don't do such things anymore (and indeed for those of you who still do!), I thought I'd give my own unique little twist on this festive time of year with my Musical Advent Calendar countdown of my Top 25 favourite Christmas songs!

I'm blogging a song a day, culminating with my favourite on Christmas Eve. So let's continue on our seasonal countdown...

Cole's Musical Christmas Advent Calendar - Day 12!

Today we witness one of the most surreal duets in the history of pop music. The whole concept of putting Bing Crosby and David Bowie together on the same single must have come about as the result of some hallucinogenic drugs, but in this case, it was an inspired choice! The pre-amble chat before the song is wonderfully bizzare!

'Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy' was recorded on September 11th 1977 for Crosby's up-and-coming Christmas TV special. The show aired on November 30th but by that time, Crosby was dead. He died on October 14th, of a massive heart attack, barely a month after this incredibe recording, whilst in Spain having completed a full round of golf.

So here is Bing's final musical triumph, and possibly the most unlikely, of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment