Saturday 21 January 2012

Pietro Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana

I adore classical music as I have testified time enough previously in this blog. Despite the annoying ad breaks, I am I must admit, a keen fan of Classic FM. Indeed, it is the 'default' radio station on my bed-side radio.

Every spring sees the climax of the annual Classic FM vote on our all-time classical tracks. It is apparently, the world's largest vote on classical music. I've never entered before but I may do this year. They request 3 song choices from each viewer - a Gold, Silver and Bronze choice for our top 3 individual pieces of classical music.

My problem is the narrowing down of the sheer wealth of classical music that I enjoy to just 3 tracks. It feels like an almost impossible task.

But one of the front-runners would certainly be this piece that I heard on Classic FM this morning and which I have adored since before I can remember.

It's the romantic and in my book, highly under-rated Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni.

No comments:

Post a Comment