Saturday 18 February 2012

Ceredigion County Council Vs Hywel Dda LHB (Part II) - "There will be beds in Cardigan Hospital"

In my last blog post, I commented on my questioning the Hywel Dda Local Health Board's lack of communication with the wider public when we met them as a Council on Thursday.

My second point was on the Cardigan Hospital development and I wanted to dedicate a seperate post to this issue, such is its importance to the residents of Cardigan, southern Ceredigion and north Pembrokeshire.

The Hywel Dda Chief Executive Mr Trevor Purt had already made supportive noises towards the Cardigan Hospital development by the time that I was called to speak but I pressed him on the same point again. Whilst progress is finally being made now that the sale of the site itself has been completed, the question of the future provision of services within the new build is very much being debated - in particular, the question of community beds.

I told Mr Purt that I was going to quote what he had said earlier in the meeting in the future and he re-iterated the sentiment to me there and then in the Council Chamber.

To quote the Chief Executive of the Hywel Dda Local Health Board:
"There will be beds in Cardigan Hospital".
I'll remember that and I've now quoted it for posterity to ensure that this becomes a reality. He will not be allowed to go back on his word.

1 comment:

  1. Are the beds what's important? Or should the focus be on what services are needed by people locally? Most health services don't need beds!

    ReplyDelete