Saturday 30 June 2012

London Welsh Win Appeal

I was well chuffed last night when I came in late from an evening at Gwyl Fawr Aberteifi to read that London Welsh have won their legal battle for promotion to the Premiership - English rugby's top flight.

They deserved to do so just by the fact that they won the championship play-off final with a 66-41 aggregate victory over the Cornish Pirates.

But the appeal panel ruled that the RFU's MSC contravenes EU and UK competition law and therefore found in favour of London Welsh, at the Newcastle Falcons' expense.

I've been following London Welsh for years from afar and they have always in my memory been a solidly performing 2nd tier English rugby side but in recent years have really upped their game and I've always hoped that our 'Exiles' would one day be given their chance to play at the top level as do the successul London Irish.

So now is their chance and for once, as one who has never been a fan of the RFU's Premiership, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment