Wednesday 31 October 2012

Charity begins in Ceredigion

It's been a busy 5 months since I became County Council Chairman but one of the most rewarding aspects of the role is the ability to raise additional funds for worthy local causes.

Back in the summer, I shared the proceeds from my civic service collection with the local branch of the RNLI and also with our local Air Ambulance fundraising group.

This month as shown in the photo here, I was delighted to present the proceeds from anonymous donations at my Chairman's dinner to Cardigan Cancer Care.

At present, I am starting a 4th consecutive year of collecting money for the British Legion's Poppy Appeal. In the wider arena, I have also been a keen supporter of the Red Cross and have also sponsored a child in Malawi.

Life is hectic and indeed I'm often told that I'm doing too much and that I need to slow down. That's probably true and I am slowly recognising the need to look after myself better and to at least attempt to manage a more reasonable 'work-life' balance.

But the ability to support others has been of great comfort to me through the years. It goes with the territory I suppose. When taken in the greater scheme of things, we are a fortunate people and I myself have been blessed with good health and wonderful friends. The least I can do is give something back to a community which has given me so much in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment