Wednesday 27 June 2012

Back to the Future? A Wonderful Internet Hoax!

As a big fan of the 'Back to the Future' trilogy, I was slightly in awe when I realised earlier that today, 27th June 2012, is in fact the date that 'Doc Brown' set in his DeLorean to time travel into the future.

Or at least, that's what I thought when I saw this photo going around the internet earlier!

For although the films were released slightly before what I recall of them, I am nevertheless a big fan. Indeed, I am slightly odd I suppose in being a particular fan of the 2nd film which is generally regarded as being the weaker of the 3. Why do I like it? Because it plays with both the 'present' of 1985, the 'past' of 1955 and the 'future' of...wait a minute here...2012?!

It suddenly struck me that the dates just didn't look right. 1985 minus 30 leads to 1955 so why leap 27 years to 2012 and not 30 years to 2015? Oh, and why to June when it was the fall that always played the central part of the narrative.




On doing some quick investigating, it all became clear - it was a hoax! The actual date that Doc Brown typed into his DeLorean as the clip above shows was October 21st 2015!

So folks, we've got another 3 more years in which to invent that hoverboard!

1 comment:

  1. I make some idle promises about making the future happen in 2015: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2ElrRrQSg#t=167s

    Mr Fusion, anyone?

    ReplyDelete